Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Blowing up the Gradebook?

In his lecture about Blowing up the Gradebook, Chris Haskell, discusses the advantages of having no homework and due dates.  I am not sure if I agree 100% or not due to my performance with this system.  I definitely like the idea but without due dates how do you get your students to get their assignments done and not procrastinate?  The idea of having due dates is so that your students can learn to do their work on time instead of waiting until the last minute.  I do like his idea of no homework though.  Students have so much going on outside of school that it is sometimes hard for them to get their work done on their own.  By eliminating homework you create a better chance for your student to succeed in school.  I think that you should give your students an allotted amount of time in class to get homework done.  My reasoning behind this is so that if they have questions they can ask and so they wouldn't have to worry about finding time to get it done. I believe that Chris Haskell's idea with making it into a game is a very good idea.  Students will have fun getting the quests done and will learn better from it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment